Saturday, July 23, 2011

Green Fairy necklace 1

Today I’m gonna start work on the Green Fairy necklace. Absinthe is a Victorian drink, a bit of a underground one, mainly used by artists and whatnot, heh, or so the mythology goes. One of it’s nicknames is “The Green Fairy” so I’m gonna be making a necklace with some of that inspiration, and a few ideas I got from one of my Steampunk jewelry books.

First step was to have a filigree backing, and stain it with a green patina. I did this by using green oil paint, getting it in a paper towel, smearing it together and then rubbing the filigree on that. It gave it a great light tone, not overstated, and it looked metallic. Only problem is that oil paint takes weeks to dry, and green is one of the longer ones. So that’s a downside…

Second step was to make the bottles. I’m doing that now, I just got some tiny glass bottles in the mail, and going to fill those up. I’m not sure with what though…Either resin or water with green food coloring. The resin would be more sturdy and less likely to break, but with the water it would look more dynamic. If I was feeling really adventurous, I could even get some real Absinthe and pour that in there, but something tells me the color won’t be that good. Anywho, I’ll keep you posted on the results!

No comments: